24.4.08

10 C's: Honoring Mom & Dad

“Mom, can I go to Carrie’s party this Saturday?” I asked. I looked at her and she thought about it.
“Carrie, the girl from school that you’re always telling me about? The Carrie that talks smack to teachers and has been caught smoking more than a few times?” My Mom shook her head. “I don’t know if I want you going to a party hosted by a girl with that character.
“But Mo-om!” I whined. “Everyone’s going to be there!”
She shook her head again. “No. I’m sorry, but I don’t want you getting into trouble there.”
I sighed. Man, was I disappointed! “Okay, Mom.”
“I know you’re disappointed, but please honor my decision, okay?” was her reply.

You may be thinking, “Sure it sounds easy in the story, but it’s not so easy in real life to just accept and respect your parents’ decisions.” Sure, it’s not. There’s been many times when I wanted to hurt someone because I was mad at my parents for their decision. But you have to realize that they’re just doing what they think is best for you.

Exodus 20:12 says: Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord you God is giving you.

Ephesians 6:1-3 says: Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother –which is the first commandment with promise –that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.

The Bible commands us – kids, tweens, teens, everyone to honor and obey their parents. Not many people realize this, but God gave you to them. He gave you to them and gave them an assignment: to bring you up in the way of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4: Fathers, do not exasperate your children: instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord). The decisions that they make are the decisions that they think would be in the training and instruction of the Lord. Sure, they’re not perfect. Everyone makes mistakes –even parents. But we still love them all the same!

Ephesians 5: 21 says: Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

I was looking through my Bible for verses to do with the subject, and I think that this commentary might be interesting. Here’s what it said: The Key to SubmissionMany readers have struggled with the advice Paul gives in these paragraphs. This simple sentence sets the tone for all that follows: We are to submit to others because of our reverence for Christ. In other words, in any human relationship –husband and wife, child and parent, slave and master –a third party is involved –Christ himself. Paul urges us to conduct those relationships in light of Christ’s own Spirit. The bottom line: Though it may not be easy at times, you need to submit to and honor your parents. In fact, it’ll be hard at times, but remember their assignment. They need to bring you up in Christ, let’s help ‘em out a little, shall we!

2 comments:

  1. I think this one is my favorite. ;)

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Dad, Lucy wrote it, not me.
    So they aren't exactly my views.
    ;)
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Speak out. Talk with other teens right here. Let your voice be heard.