1.7.09

S.O.A.P.

"I'm doing this new thing," Maddy said excitedly, holding her Bible. "It's a Bible study."

"Cool," I said. That's a cute Bible. "What's so special about it?"

"We read through the New Testament in a year. But instead of rushing through, we soak it up. I really like it. Then there's the SOAP."

"Soap?"

"Yeah, SOAP. Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer. It really helps keep you on track. That's how I do my devotions."

Scripture
Observation
Application
Prayer

I'm going to try it. My devotions -- if that's what you want to call them -- are, well, lacking. I've gotten into reading the New Testament and underlining all the important parts, but I don't pray about it. And when I do, it's not sincere. Or at least I don't feel sincere. And I never, ever apply it to my life. It's hard for me to admit, but this is how I'm feeling right now.
I think with the SOAP acronym, I'll be able to focus. I'll have four things to do and I won't skip a single one. To you it may seem like checking things off a list, but I think it's what will work for me.

I encourage you to try this. We can do it together! And of course I'll share with you my Scripture readings, my observations, how I'm living it out, and my prayers. This could be really cool. Let's do this!

{And, if you want to try it for yourself, tell me all about your devotions! Let me know what you read and what you felt about it in the comments or the "Be a Voice" chatbox on your left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak out. Talk with other teens right here. Let your voice be heard.