27.1.09

Slippery Slope

The roads are icy and this made me think – isn’t an icy road like sin?
You’ve seen it on the news – cars crashing, people slipping, schools being closed early. Why? People know it’s dangerous! Icy roads and bridges are slippery. You can’t speed up, but you can’t suddenly stop, either. Turning to sharply can end in disaster. There are so many things that can go wrong
Once you choose to get on that road, it’s tough getting off. You have to concentrate and get back to safety.

Sometimes...you can't.

It really is like sin, I think. Once we go down that road, it's hard to get off. Oh, yeah, you've got your excuses. You can justify it in some way. Or "it won't happen to" you. Think again.

The more we sin, the easier it gets. A little white lie here, a little partying there, and before you know it, you're spinning on an icy road.

Like Carrie Underwood says in Jesus Take the Wheel, "Jesus take the wheel, take it from my hands, cause I can't do this on my own. I'm letting go, so give me one more chance. Save me from this road I'm on." Did you catch that? Carrie sings about a woman driving on an icy road when her car spins out of control. Now "for the first time in a long while she bowed her head to pray". If you've messed up a lot, there will be consequences, but Jesus is willing to save you! You can't do it on your own, but Jesus is really into mercy. Forgiveness is offered. All you have to do is ask.

Tonight, I'd just like to ask you to not even get on that dark road. It only leads to trouble. Take the road to Jesus, to life, to true joy, to peace. The other road will get you nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak out. Talk with other teens right here. Let your voice be heard.