17.8.09

Being Utterly Simple



"I know you might think that's boring, but I think it's the boring stuff that I
remember the most." - Russel, the kid from Pixar's movie UP


I hate being bored. Doesn't everybody? I mean, there are a million productive things we could do, and yet none of them seem worth any effort. We'd rather mope around all day.

But the truth is: everything we experience becomes part of our life. Imagine your experiences as the fabric of your life. All the threads are different colors, and alone they would be drab, but together they weave everything we've learned, and that's beautiful.


"The real test of friendship is: Can you literally do nothing with the other
person? Can you enjoy together those moments of life that are utterly simple?
They are the moments people look back on at the end of life and number as their
most sacred experiences." - Eugene Kennedy

Do you have a friendship (or relationship with boyfriend/girlfriend/parent) like that? Do you consider that relationship special? Honestly, I don't see why my friends adore me like they do. ;) I mean, we do some pretty cool stuff, but often we just sit around doing nothing. And yet, it doesn't make me value our friendship any less. In fact, I find that just being in the prescence of someone I love is special, no matter what we're doing.

The big question...
Is our relationship with God like that? Are there moments in my relationship with God where I can just "chill" or "hang" with Him? Imagine you and your best friend sitting on my bed just enjoying being with each other -- now imagine that best friend as Jesus!

Ecclesiastes 3 tells us that there is a time for everything. So we know there's a time to pray and read our Bible and tell our friends about Jesus and go on mission trips -- because all those things are great. But there's also a time for just relaxing, resting, and enjoying simply being in God's presence. Sometimes I get frustrated in the silence. But ya know what? The silence is special. It's special because it's me and God just chilling with each other. We don't have to do anything. You could enjoy the silence as God's way of clearing your mind; or you could listen to His voice. Just be still, be patient, be quiet. God does speak to people and He will speak to YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Luv this! i'm now enlightened. ;)
    reading this made me laugh and think of all those times we've spent lying around doing nothing. so fun right? :)
    <3 ya girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know; I love moments like that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Speak out. Talk with other teens right here. Let your voice be heard.